Friday, May 30, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Nothing


Linking up here
Five minutes.
Whatever comes to mind.
Spilled out here.

Today's prompt: Nothing

GO

My failures flank my mind like a retaining wall
ready to keep out Your words.
It’s all I can see some days.
The impatience this momma showed at childhood foibles.
The anger this wife spewed toward a husband.
The lack of compassion this beggar extends to those less fortunate.
The resentment harbored in this pastor’s heart for faith-siblings.
The mistakes of my youth that snare and trap me.
The defeats of the soul that echo in the chambers of my heart.

How is it I escape them?
The sins that paralyze me
and let fear win.
The dark places I worry will lead You
to turn, 
walk away, 
desert and abandon me.
The transgressions that taunt.
The debts that claim they are more powerful
than payment rendered.
Untruths that use guerilla tactics to ambush my confidence.

What sin is too far-reaching?
What choices will send You retreating?
What can keep You from me?

And I hear You whisper, 
a single word,
barely audible
above the screaming fortress of the lies, 

Nothing.”

STOP

2 comments:

  1. Niki, this is absolutely beautiful and I can relate to EVERY SINGLE WORD! Such beautiful, truthful prose...that there is absolutely NOTHING we can do to make God turn away from us. Blessings to you, fellow traveler. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you chose to use poetry to portray "nothing". God takes us back, loves us and gives grace no matter what. Nothing is too awful to keep Him from relentlessly pursuing us. Visiting you from FMF! Happy weekend! Mary

    ReplyDelete